Thursday, September 11, 2008

Module 2

All good suggestions.

Please modify the module. Make your presentation follow the design of a magazine/newsletter -- WIRED a fine model or a newsletter. If you are familiar with McLuhan, then you might want to take a look at some of his experimental works like The Medium is The Massage that borrows from print advertising to discuss the networked world and how it will change the sensorium as well as rhetoric [the art of effective communication]. I know at least one of you is familiar with McLuhan, but if you are not, then please take a look at his work.

Instead of focusing on one chapter, please focus on one issue that strikes you as significant in the social history of graphic design. It can be something concrete like the use of writing tools or mechanisms or something more abstract like identity or time or space/place.

You might focus more on some chapters than others, but it is the themes and details that run through the entire history that I am interested in examining.

OK?

[btw, I was waiting for everyone to respond with an email to me about module 1 before I started to respond back in a trickle ... but now I think I might have left a few hanging waiting for everyone. So, write me again [if I haven't talked w/ you on email about module 1] or write me for the first time.]

7 comments:

macotto said...

Hi class,

This assignment is due Oct. 9, but we should probably come up with an earlier due date to get our articles to Paul so that he can get them into the journal.
It might also be a good idea to discuss who will cover which arguments or issues from the text and in what format so that our journal is unified.
I know we have already designated technical editors on the project. Would you like me to keep a running list of students and contribution formats so that we can make sure that the journal is not missing any big ideas that should have been addressed?
Just let me know if that would be helpful.
Thanks,
Maggie

sanoe said...

Maggie-
I see no one else has responded to your suggestion, so I'll add my 2 cents...
I think we'll want to come up with an earlier deadline for submitting to Paul if possible, but we'll definitely need to think about our space needs for this project and get those to him beforehand. I am assuming that if we have some level of group planning that we'll able to make the final product look nicer- we also don't want to swamp Paul at the last minute.
In terms of a running list of themes and formats, I think Webcourses will help us with that (it seemed to work pretty well for us for the last module). I'll post my thoughts there on what I want to do in the next few days-I'm still working through the book.
It seems like most of us have decided to do this as a unified class project, but I don't think everyone has chimed in yet. Maybe we should ask if there is anyone who plans to submit their project completely independently?

Sonia

(I'll post this comment on Webcourses too)

Stacey said...

Hi:

Like Sonia, I'll throw out my ideas to you on webcourses. I'm almost through the book so I have to figure out how I 'm going to put everything together and in what format. I was hoping to have a rough draft done by the last week of September so that I can get some comments/suggestions from all of you before the "final product."

Stacey said...

One question: Are we turning in an updated timeline too, or just the 1250 word article (or equivalent)?

CS said...

Some updated their time-lines already, but I have an idea -- maybe link to your updated time-lines from your new work. Not expecting something major with the updating -- just a sense that you have read Drucker/McVarish and thought about their work in relation to Ong and to the history of texts and technology.

In terms of the due date, you are probably correct -- you'll need to give the editors time to compile everything -- but you might want to have it be a draft deadline ... and make the individual parts finished and ready to go.

American Socrates said...

I would like to do a spoof on Wired's last-inside-page "Found: Artifacts from the Future" while addressing the issue of how the funding of large-scale graphic design projects, both formal and "grass roots" influences their appearance. I was struck by the "Save Waste Fats" advertisement.

Stacey said...

John:

Your topic sounds really interesting. I'm curious to see how it turns out! I think it's pretty neat how we all have taken something different away from the same book. I anticipate a pretty diverse e-magazine.

I posted my article ideas on webcourses if anyone wants to take a look. It's rather long, so I didn't want to post it on here again.

Stacey