Monday, September 22, 2008

Texts in e-Tech and e-crit

Of course, the e-crit is a pun (see O'Gorman, E-Crit, U Toronto Press) on Derrida's ecriture [literally writing, but also that which mediates between message and reader, and how that ecrit has its own initiatives and visual non-phonetic non-logocentric paths] and on electronic critique. The question for us, how to appreciate the history of graphic design as a way to understand media-forms [oral, literate, electronic] historically and in terms of scholarly critical work. How will writing proceed as electronic forms now inflect even non-electronic forms? If scholarship must respond to, apprehend, and shape electronic forms, then what lessons does the history of graphic design offer us? What warnings? What clues? What paths to follow? Finally, if the issue is about the mediation [not some mistaken and over-simplified notion of sender/receiver], then how does design function over time, in the historical context, and with what specific elements? More importantly, Drucker/McVarish ask us to look in detail at concrete instances in an historical context -- it is that work that will make up the core of any study of texts and technology. Please comment and not sure where the conversation has shifted now -- to the webcourses site? offline? in person? or to other classes and concerns?

12 comments:

CS said...

Let me know if a short post on semiotics and semiology is redudant because you all know this well or if you might like to have a lecture on semiotics? And, you can write to me directly on email -- if you'd like.

Stacey said...

Hi Dr. Saper:

While my literary and language theory courses have touched upon semiotics and semiology in the past, I could always use and appreciate a refresher. I think a lecture would help--it definitely couldn't hurt!

Stacey

American Socrates said...

I would find such a lecture instructive as well.

CS said...

Yes, me too. I looked over my notes and tried (without luck) to find the comics I made explaining semiotics years ago.

I wish I could just chat about it -- is there a way we could all meet in a e-forum? Like SL, but if folks are not familiar with that then someplace online that has real-time give and take?

So, when I start talking about the development of semiology from linguistics to cultural studies, you can chime in.

CS said...

Any ideas?

Adam Fields said...

I'm also for a lecture on semiotics and semiology; I haven't had much experience to date with either (a few essays as a part of ENG 3014).

I haven't ventured into "Second Life" yet, but it is downloaded and installed on my computer. I was about to suggest google's "Lively" chat program, but it is windows only.

American Socrates said...

I would like to try Second Life at some point. While they do offer a GNU/Linux client, I do not think the video cards in any of my PCs meet their minimum requirements.

I am amazed that the UCF Webcourses does not have a chat function. Is this true?

How a about good-old hosted IM conversation or chat room? I have IM accounts on Hotmail and Yahoo that I use daily for work.

sanoe said...

I'm on a Mac, so I guess no "Lively" for me. I generally use gmail's chat feature, so if we go with another one I'd have to set up an account.

macotto said...

There is a chat feature on WebCourses, isn't there?

CS said...

webcourses seems to be down right now. We could do an iChat IM as a conference -- I think it is called IM theater?

Or, I could post a lecture -- you would listen -- but one thing I want us to do is find electronic solutions not put literate culture online [ho hum].

Hmmm ... I can run windows, SL, IM, iChat, etc ... or maybe just a list-serve [that's it -- can someone set up a list serve on yahoo groups???] and invite everyone in the class ,.. and I will start posting bits and if you want to chime in you can?

What do you think?

Stacey said...

There is a chat function on webcourses but the instructor, section designer has to enable it. Maybe that'll work? We all have access to Webcourses...

I'll try to look into Yahoo groups. I've never used it before...

CS said...

OK< I've started something on the discussion section of webcourses.

it will be like slow motion and discontinuous conversation -- with me saying a few words and asking some questions to start.